2019 applications are currently closed! 2020 applications will open early next year.
The Dr. Doretha Pressey Southern Scholars Initiative offers prespective scholars the opportunity to apply for one of the following two scholarships:
The Dr. Doretha Pressey Academic Scholarship and
The Clara Mae Coleman Technical School Award.
The Pressey Scholarship provides selected scholars with a total of $18,000 each and will be awarded to high school seniors who intend to pursue higher education at a fully accredited four year college or university (not a trade school or technical college).
The Coleman Award provides selected scholars a total of $6,000 each, and will be awarded to high school seniors who intend to pursue higher education at a career, trade or technical school or a community college (not a fully accredited four year college or university).
The ideal scholarship recipients will be:
1. African American residents of certain low income rural communities in the Southeastern United States (specific communities will be announced when the applications open each year.)
2. Accepted as full-time undergraduate students at either a not-for-profit fully accredited four-year college or university or a not-for-profit fully accredited technical school or college
3. Have a minimum 2.5 GPA on a 4.0 scale
4. Exhibit determination in the pursuit of goals
5. Have a commitment to and demonstrated history of giving back and helping those in need
For more information about the scholarship and to view last year's application, please follow this link.